Friday, November 11, 2011

White Sea Bass and Stand Up paddle boards

I wanted to share a technique with the readers of the underground waterman . The following is a small excerpt from a article I wrote on hunting White Sea Bass, . If any of you have any questions on how to set up your board, or best size or style to use let me know , Ill be happy to answer any

I wont be surprised if some of your are a little skeptical that this technique of “sight fish diving” is even possible, I was at first .. Its one of those things that I guess you have to see to believe..

At first glance one might gather that best part of this technique is to be able to locate fish or find the best conditions IE viz and current , but IMO the biggest advantage is to get away from the noise of the boat and your Buddy’s … another big point you will notice in the WSB article is the importance of being quiet before you even reach the kelp , I’m a strong believer that wild animals adapt with a learned behavior , as kooky as this Behaviorism in fish sounds
, We have to face the fact that after being hunted for heavy for the last 20 years these fish are now adapting to are behavior and sounds IE splashing of the fins , bouncing anchor , etc etc , so we as Divers must do are part to evolve and step up are game with new techniques









Excerpt=

Stand Up Paddleboard, Stable Kayak or Canoe

This is probably the most important piece of equipment in the compendium of hunting gear. These on-the-water transport options have helped me find spots that produce throughout the year. Early in the year, "pre-spawn" ,I'll take my Paddleboard on the boat to launch as a recon craft and look for kelp that “looks right” ie kelp that’s loaded with fin bait in the sparse outside stringers and deep in the kelp rooms. Later in the year, when the WSB are beginning to spawn, I will actually see WSB on the surface from my Paddleboard. Standing high on a paddleboard sight-fishing is a lot of fun, and if you can stay calm enough the fish may even follow you ... it's happened to me twice. Along with the advantages of your early season recon, the paddleboard also affords you the chance to get away from your boat and the noisy anchor or your loud dive buddies, and just cover more ground until you see fish or find that certain kelp that just feels right.

= FIN

3 comments:

  1. many thanks for posting this Joe, I'm going to start researching boards for our local kelp beds and this was just the ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    I have just purchased my second sup, a red air mega 10'8, for flat water and spearfishing, its an inflatable as you will well be aware, at the moment for stowing my gear i use a large wet bag and just tie it over the side when i dive, i would be interested to see what you use for stowing your gear, i know that there are one or more bags that are available but tese are quite expensive.
    cheers
    David k.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I propose you whatever content and articles. It is advisable to delightful to work out you should teach you for sayings right from middle section and as a consequence picture quality with this vital content and articles is definitely quickly well known. best inflatable sup

    ReplyDelete